Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sharpening Figure Skates...?

So I%26#039;m having my skates sharpened for the first time and I just want to know what I should expect when I go skating. Is there anything I need to do?

Sharpening Figure Skates...?
Well, first of all I assume you got your skates quite recently because it%26#039;s good to sharpen them often so the transition won%26#039;t be too long from dull to sharp.





Basically do a few snowplow pushes against the wall to wear them down just a little. Sharpened skates grip the ice really well and slow you down, and ice skating is about gliding on the ice not so much in it.





I also have heard of skaters using a wood block or something to dull them before going on the ice, but I%26#039;ve never seen it and don%26#039;t know the results so I wouldn%26#039;t recommend it.





Make sure you use all your edges evenly. I know some edges are less comfortable for you than others (though they should all be even), but you need to wear it down evenly. This also means to evenly dull the whole blade, even though you%26#039;ll notice the back is probably still very sharp.





Tip: If you gently slide your fingernail across the blade, a sharp blade will take a layer right off. If it doesn%26#039;t then it%26#039;s obvious they are dull. However if you are slipping anyway then you already know.
Reply:well, u need to sharpen them at intervals so the change isnt too drastic to handle.


where i get mine done, the best avialable, they are RLY sharp when u first get em done.


ask the ppl to dull them down a little for u if its been a while since they were sharpened.


but it will be a little wierd for a day or so if they are rly sharp but ull get used to them.



tanning

No comments:

Post a Comment